Home » Grant Proposal

Grant Proposal

About 80% of single parents remarry after a divorce. Anybody can introduce a new person into a child’s life, but they cannot know whether it will create a positive or negative relationship. I am writing to you show that I deserve the grant that you are offering in order to conduct a study on the relationship between stepparents and their stepchildren. This study will look into things such as the emotional effects on the parent’s and step parent’s relationship with the children; it’s economic effects and the support that can be given to families who are still struggling with the adjustment.

I believe that with this grant I would be able to discover things I would not have without it. With this grant, I would be able to travel to family therapists throughout the five boroughs. If I gather information from each of the five boroughs, I would be able to compare and contrast my findings and draw the conclusion about how each borough possibly has different effects on the relationships between parents and step-parents. There are also many conventions with motivational speakers that sadly do not take place in NYC. The conventions take place in the surrounding states of New York like New Jersey and Connecticut. At those conventions, they have motivational speakers that speak about family adjustments like bringing a new member into the family as well as how to fix a blended family that might be falling apart.

Like most families, blended families face financial issues. Significant financial issues blended families face are issues with paying child support. When it comes to the parents who are no longer living with the ex-spouse and children, it is up to them to provide a certain amount of money every month or every two weeks so they can support their family. However, a lot of divorced parents might no longer have contact with their ex. When the ex-husband or wife is no longer in the life even to pay child support, it is left to the mom or dad to provide for their kids all on their own until they decide to remarry. Remarrying can be tough because now someone outside is now providing for children that are not theirs. Most step parents do not mind because they might see their stepchildren as one of their own, but not all step parents are like that. With the grant, I would be able to make an appointment with financial planners around NYC and ask them if they see a lot of blended families walking into their business asking for help on how to plan better for their future.

I have been a part of a blended family for most of my life. I am lucky to have both my mother and father as well as a stepfather. Although all three parents are cordial with each other, it took them quite some time to get there. There were plenty of arguments over child support and custody. My stepdad was in my life since the age of three, so I had no issues with living with a stranger because I had no idea, but that is not the case for every child. Some adults are 35 with kids of their own who now have to adjust to having a step parent, but with the emotional support, they are ways to overcome the hardships they need to take. They might not think it is necessary, but it indeed is. After meeting with a few blended families, I would like to use the leftover money from the grant to buy each family a session with a family therapist. It is crucial that these families know that they have support and they can get through the adjustment of welcoming a step parent into their life.